Started : Q2 2015
Project Duration : 3 months
Redesigning Bupa’s .com website to better reflect user needs and business objectives.
Bupa are an international healthcare group serving over 32 million customers worldwide.
As the first digital touchpoint for many customers, Bupa.com is hugely important. When I started working with Bupa, the website contained loads of useful information, but it felt old-fashioned and cumbersome.
It was very information heavy, and wasn’t responsive. The site felt like it had outgrown it’s current structure, making it hard for users to find anything specific.
From a business objective, it also no longer reflected Bupa’s key priorities of :
- Routing consumers into products and services in 190 countries worldwide.
- Providing key information about the business to the public, shareholders and healthcare workers.
- Being the main ‘jumping-off’ point for most user journeys for Bupa online.
I conducted in-depth research using the old site
Redesigning Bupa.com involved a heavily data-driven approach. I wanted to make the site work better for the business, and demonstrate an actual return on their investment. It was important to fully understand what people wanted from the site, and how we could help them out.
Remote user testing and analytics tools were used to identify why people were actually visiting. We looked at which user journeys were most popular, and the information that was routinely being accessed. We also used search data to understand how (and why) people found Bupa online. By understanding this, we could design around the specific needs they had, and the terms and language they used.
This let us make some important decisions around where to focus our redesign efforts. It also meant we could set some early KPIs.
I planned a new data-led information architecture for Bupa.com
The new structure for Bupa.com needed to reflect the reasons that people visited the site in the first place. We aligned the navigation and sitemap to a prioritised set of user needs.
Information hierarchy was planned carefully, to make certain that the most accessed information was presented upfront. Our number one goal was making specific content needs as fast and painless as possible.
I went through many iterations of the information architecture. Updates and enhancements were made by working really closely with key members of business, from whom I could draw specific insight about how Bupa worked.
I also ran card sorting and tree testing activities, to ensure the structure was super intuitive for our users.
I iteratively wireframed and prototyped the new website
The interaction design of Bupa.com followed the same principles as the IA. We needed to make sure that important messages and information were clearly emphasised at the top of landing pages. We needed to make sure that information was placed in a logical order on specific pages, in accordance to the priority of user needs.
The user experience I designed was fully mobile-first, and based around real data.
Using a component-driven approach also allowed us to really easily tweak and enhance landing pages over time. Even after launch, I worked closely with the Bupa team to enhance and redesign important components in light of user feedback and analytics data.
I worked closely with business stakeholders, brand teams and developers
This project was part of a wider rebranding effort happening at Bupa. I worked closely with Bupa’s brand team to make sure the site had the premium feel they wanted, and accommodated all of the new assets.
Though I was working with Bupa as a consultant, the design and build teams were based internally. This meant working really closely with the client to make sure that everyone was aligned to the same vision.
Adopting a mobile-first design and data-led information architecture has had a massive impact on the site’s performance.
Since launching the redesigned site…
- The bounce rate on Bupa.com has dropped significantly from 70% to 36%.
- The exit rate on the home page has also reduced from 63% to 26%.
We monitored KPIs closely after the site’s launch, to make sure that we met those all important business objectives.
I really enjoyed working with Chris. By using analytics and heatmapping technology, he uncovered a range of issues that were frustrating our range of stakeholders and impeding their ability to use our digital offerings effectively. We saw tangible improvements in website engagement as a result of implementing his recommendations.
- Adrian Harris - Head of Digital Communications at Bupa
See the results : Visit the website